ISR Series Cards & Modules
The ports on these modules work as routed Layer 3 ports. Layer 2 switching between local ports on the module or between ports on the module and other ports within the router system is not supported. The port terminates Layer 2 trunks from externally connected switches, and Layer 2 trunk and VLAN information is not switched onto other ports in the system. The host router routes all traffic entering these modules.
Cisco Gigabit Ethernet WAN Modules do not support Power over Ethernet (PoE).
Cisco offers four types of Ethernet WAN modules:
- Cisco 1-Port Gigabit Ethernet WAN Network Interface Module (NIM-1GE-CU-SFP)
- Cisco 2-Port Gigabit Ethernet WAN Network Interface Module (NIM-2GE-CU-SFP)
- Cisco 6-Port High-Density Gigabit Ethernet WAN Service Module (SM-X-6X1G)
- Cisco 4-Port High-Density Gigabit or 1-Port 10 Gigabit Ethernet WAN Service Module (SM-X-4X1G-1X10G)
The Cisco 4-Port Gigabit or 1-Port 10 Gigabit Ethernet WAN Service Module can be operated in two mutually exclusive modes:
- 4-port Gigabit Ethernet mode
- 1-port 10 Gigabit Ethernet mode; use of the 10 Gigabit Ethernet port disables the other ports